View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 AM   #36
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I paged through my collection and added a book here, a book there, another book...and it's updating the metadata for each individual "send to device". And each of those is taking more than 3 minutes (I have LOTS of books).

Could you at least consider having the metadata update once at the end of all jobs run?
Sorry, but that would be a very risky change. There is an excellent chance that I would break things badly.
Quote:

It won't allow me to stop any of these "extra" jobs - so I can't even stop it.

NOTE: Windows XP, calibre 0.7.4
This is puzzling. Although the jobs clearly are taking that long, there is no fundamental reason they should, and I can't see 'coding inefficiency' reason that they would. However, there must be, so ...

If you are willing to help, could you run calibre in debug mode? Calibre will produce a log telling me in much finer granularity where it is spending the time. That could give me the necessary clues to where the time is being used.

To run in debug mode, first open a command box (start, run, type cmd in the box, and OK). In the command box, type:
Code:
cd \
calibre-debug  -g  >calibre_debug.txt   2>&1
The first line makes your current folder be the root of c: (or whatever drive windows is installed on). This is done so you can find the debug file later. The second line starts calibre in debug mode, writing information to the file calibre_debug.txt.

Next, send a book to your device (I hope it will take as long as before). Do as little as possible in addition, or the log could be filled with lots of extra stuff, making it hard to isolate what is going on. Now quit calibre. Using a file manager (explorer), go to C:\. You should see the file calibre_debug.txt. This file is what I want you to post.

The only personal information the file will contain is the title of the book you sent and the collections that must be created for the book (if any). Feel free to look at it, but be aware that the file is in 'Unix' format, and many windows programs (like notepad) will show you one really long line instead of the correct many short lines. Email the file to me if you have any concerns about posting it. Send it to "calibre-debug [at] charles dot haleys dot name" (no quotes, make the obvious substitutions).

Thank you in advance.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote