View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
That tends to be confidential information, you'd have to get to know a retailer personally and ask them, I think. Almost wish that point cards like these would be like credit card pre-paids and have an extra fee printed on them to guarantee the retailer gets a fair commission out of the sale (no, I don't mind paying a little extra, as long as it's fair).
In my experience as both a consumer and a retailer,the retailer does get paid a fair commission. Just as with calling cards and prepaid cell cards.

And except for franchise operations no retailer is forced to sell these cards.

Fes for customers can be quite high
Canada Post Prepaid Visa cards
Rates & prices
Service fees*
Activation (one-time fee) $15
Monthly service fee $3**
Reload fee $3
ATM & cash advance $2†
Foreign currency conversion 2.5%

The same fees apply to merchants who accept the cards as payment that apply to regular Visa cards. typically 2% but could be higher for lower volumn businesses.

And some cards expire in a set period of time (usually these days you can get the balance back, but many are unaware of this and it is an inconvenience as well)

Recently I wanted to buy a Visa Gift card for a baby shower, but decided based on the fees etc. that a nice shiny $50 dollar bill would do just as well.

Of course there are a few better gift card options, but not in the town I am in.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote