View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
3G is a mobile-phone network ...
Luckily even the UK has managed to keep up with all this new fangled modern technology I'm just trying to get a clear idea of how 3G works when applied to ereaders. Oddly even the info given above appears a little contradictory:
  • Quote:
    In the UK, like most other countries, the Kindle's 3G service is restricted to Wikipedia, and the Kindle store, in addition to being used for wireless delivery of purchased items
  • Quote:
    you got me thinking., would it be possible to surf the web with the kindle. The answer is yes I just added this post with my Kindle
  • Quote:
    [the kindle] restricts 3G access to the Kindle bookstore outside the US - it does not include 'free' web access in the UK
  • Quote:
    in the US there's not charge of any kind for the 3G browsing
  • Quote:
    3G is a wireless industry jargon term that means "Hoo, boy, is this data ever going to cost you!
Quote:
I seldom use it on my Kindle as the processor and e-ink are just too slow and the screen ratio isn't good for the net.
but newer devices will be faster - the Neo / Onyx can view the web while on Wifi so I assume if they had the 3G hardware then they could do the same under 3G. Perhaps ignoring images or using an intermediary server to change all images to gray scale thumb nails would help.

It always seems a shame that Wifi networks don't allow any user to surf on a restricted bandwidth etc - in this way we could have web access from any built up area. Perhaps the networks could offer SIM cards that provide very limited data access for a very minimal charge - I've seen USB 3G dongles that provide this but they charge 20 GBP a month for the privilege which seems quite steep to read you email and access the occasional wikipedia page.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote