View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #65
LeviTX
LeviTX doesn't litterLeviTX doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi, Nook, Nook Color
I picked one of these up a few weeks ago on a whim - I love gadgets, and this one was something that seemed interesting at the time. It's based around the Chinese RockChip RK2729 "eBook" platform. If you've ever seen those really cheap "digital picture frames" you've probably seen something using similar technology. In this case, it's been ever so slightly upgraded to handle ePubs, but all of the other picture frame functionality is still there. It's essentially the absolute cheapest ARM9 CPU you can stick in an electronic device and still have it work (for varying definitions of work).

It's "build quality" if you care to dissect one, is somewhat lower than what you'd typically find most electronic toys. Also watch out for the paint that rubs off with enough handling--something you'd be doing a lot of if you're trying to read on it.

If you happen to find one still in the store, walk away slowly, drive home, and order a Kobo Wireless for $99. It may not play videos, MP3s, or do a slideshow, but you won't be pulling your hair out waiting an eternity for the next page of your favorite book to load up.

It works alright as a video player when you figure out what settings to use in Handbrake (or you're transcoding app of choice) and similarly to show a continuous loop of photos, or play you're unsorted library of mp3's. But in my opinion, it's a horrible joke of an e-Reader.
LeviTX is offline   Reply With Quote