View Single Post
Old 04-21-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriakaice
(and I live in Poland - God, why it's like it's 3rd World country? :/),
I live just acros the border so I do understand your financial limitations and your frustration with the "USA only" policy for selling Readers (and "Japan only" policy for Librie ;-) ). I have asked a friend that was returning from a visit to USA to bring Sony Reader for me.
This is THE cheapest way to get the Reader. You do not pay the shipping or our crazy European customs. It was still very expensive for me, at $390, yet it is worth every Zloty ;-) .
It is realy, realy superior device if you want to use it for reading books.
There are people that want to use it to read A4 formated pdf files, user manuals, html hyperlinked files, or to carry their entire collection of many thousand books around. For those people Sony Reader is less than ideal. But for reading fiction one (or a very few) book at the time it is just PERFECT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriakaice
Oh, and the second problem (aprat from the shipping one) - the price. I'd like something up to 150$ (not everyone is rich enough to afford iRex :P) - it can be used device... + I don't want to be forced to pay another 150$ for shipping costs :P
So, what should I get?
If you wish to get the cheapest possible device that still works as a very decent book reader look for a second-hand Cassiopeia A-20.
I got mine on an internet auction for about $50
- the "good old-fashioned" grey LCD display is big enough
- it can hold a CF card plus an PCMCIA card. So you just purchase PCMCIA reader for CF card, then you purchase an adapter SD -> CF and you can carry quite a lot of books.
- as a book-reader SW I have been using the built-in Word. If you create an rtf file with font Arial Bold 12 it is just perfect for reading.

The only thing that is less-than-ideal on Cassiopeia A-20 or even Cassiopeia A-20 is the relatively poor contrast of the screen.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote