View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
This much is true. It's had a tremendous impact. However, "great social impact" is not the same as "great literature." Not that classics need to be great. However, the name does strongly imply that they have appeal over a long period of time, and that's not proven.

There's no indication that the Potter books will continue to be popular in another five years, after the end of the movie franchise, although it's possible that a tv series or mini-series could keep the books selling.

I suspect that, in another 10 years, the movies will be remembered and still widely watched; the books will be available, but no more relevant than any other modern fantasy series.

However, since we don't have a strict definition of "classic," and they are well-known as influential books, I can't see anyone insisting you can't nominate one of them. I just don't expect it to win.
A lot of classic had social impact, but now they have none at all. Do they have to have had social impact or still have social impact? Harry Potter did/does have social impact as it got a lot of people reading. So that counts.

I cannot say what will happen in 10 years. But it is a series that brought books to a lot of people who were not reading. That's social impact,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote