View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #15
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I'm with AnemicOak (post #4) and exactly for the same reasons. Yes-No-Yes.

I had my first look at html because I wanted to make changes in the books. Now I can throw some pages into Sigil and get a simple epub out.

I almost never look at the code before reading, except when I know what to expect. For example in case of series - they tend to have similar formatting, so when I'm fixing #1, I'll check the others too. Or PG downloads where I add indent and remove space between paragraphs. After reading I fix all the bookmarked places and change for example poetry to smaller font etc.
Maybe I'm control freak, but I don't trust Calibre conversions - I want to know the changes I make. It's so easy in Sigil, and changing css takes less time than trying for right conversion settings in Calibre. I do use Modify Epub plugin.

Even thinking how Calibre adds some code during epub>epub conversion bothers me to no ends, so I avoid it. But crappy code doesn't bother me so much that I feel compelled to fix it if the book looks ok. Though sometimes I succumb to the temptation with the excuse that I need to learn. Depends on the book - how long it is, did I like it, can I be sure that the code is not needed....
So ideally, I'd like to fix the crappy code, but don't know enough to always recognize it or skill to fix it quickly.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote