View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post
For people who have used a grayscale PDA (or a previous-generation eReader such as the Rocket Reader or eBookWise), why do you prefer a current-generation eReader with eInk display?
In terms of eye strain, I don't think they are terribly better. It does feel a lot more like paper, but the problem is generally one of varying brightness between the reader and the surroundings which, obviously, is not an issue when there is no light.

The much bigger page size, the higher resolution, and the better rendering of fonts is more important to me (I end up converting all of my reading files in either case so that's not an issue).

I had a 320x320 monochrome Sony (SJ20) that I absolutely loved (especially since I like small fonts), but, like almost all my Palm devices, the screen cracked in my pocket.

One really nice advantage of the Palm devices, though: built-in light for nighttime reading. If you are on a budget and willing to put up with using a legacy device with little-to-no support for modern systems, I'm certainly not going to talk you out of it.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote