View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM   #108
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Sorry that I didn't respond sooner since updating your post doesn't actually make the thread appear updated.
Good point, I'll make fresh replies in the future.

Quote:
I really don't understand why on linux you're seeing the gif sizes as normal. I'm relying on Windows XP's interface to tell me the dimensions and they are confirmed by MS Paint, Picasa Photo Viewer, Internet Explorer, and Firefox. The attached screen capture compared \GIF\01 Scenario+trim+border+rotate\0000.gif and \JPG\01 Scenario+trim+border+rotate\0000.jpg. Notice that the gif has extra large margins to the left and rights sides and a very small margin to the top (and bottom)? On web browsers, those extra margins appear as white. Perhaps it's transparency?

I ran the canti analyze option and it doesn't show the problem, so I don't know what to say about that (see attached txt).
This is bizarre. I finally got to see the weird sizes by bringing up a .gif in GiMP (kinda like the MS Paint of Ubuntu). It looks like the extra space that ImageMagick isn't reporting is transparent/empty (like the canvas is too big). And only .gif is affected (at least of the file formats tested). I will have to do some research to see why this is happening.

I'm guessing it's a problem with the way trimming works now. In order to force the trimming of a certain color, I have to add a 1px border of that color to the image and then trim. After trimming the algorithm then does a -1-1 repage of the image, but that may not be correctly adjusting the canvas size.

Quote:
At least it shows the 800x800 issue with jpg/png in certain scenarios.
I see the problem. Look at the control case (#8) where Canti is simply resizing the image. The .jpg landscape image is being resized to 800x512, when you specified that it should be 600x800. This means that when ImageMagick encounters a resize in which the orientation is different (i.e. you have a landscape image, want to give it portrait orientation, but you still want to maintain scale and not rotate) then ImageMagick simply flips your input parameters to match the original orientation. I can probably fix this within Canti by having it do some checking before passing on the job to ImageMagick.

Quote:
Have you tried viewing one of the gifs on your Kindle? I'm curious if it can be viewed currently without crashing the app.
I haven't turned on my Kindle in ages. If I get a chance I will try it, but if it crashes for you I'm guessing it will crash for me as well. Also, I don't see the benefit of using .gif for comic scans... they're freaking huge compared to .jpg, and personally I can't tell the difference in graphics quality.

Last edited by lilman; 10-18-2010 at 04:08 PM.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote