View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #24
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'd like to add that reading is a personal experience to me, and has always been, and that's why I like it so much

Also, I don't believe there is a compact between writers and readers. Writers must write, and readers must read. A writer can be lucky enough to write what readers want to read, or not. If I don't like a book, I don't expect the writer to change it for me. I just read something else. On the other hand, I might say, sometimes loudly, why I didn't like this book. The difference now is that there is a bigger chance you, the writer, will hear/read what I, the reader, think of your book. You, the writer, have to learn to deal with this. For me, it doesn't change much to my reading experience.

I also agree that some people seem rather narrowly focused on some themes or genres. I don't know if that is new, or newly visible, but it certainly is made worse by Internet features such as social sites or recommendations, as the ones on Amazon. Nothing to do with e-books. I personally try to stay away from recommendations because I found out that they tend to put me in a rut by presenting more and more of books "similar" (in a very narrow definition) to the ones I just read. But it's harder to avoid now, because it's more difficult to get lost in a virtual bookstore than in a real one. But again, nothing to do with e-books. I've been buying books on Amazon for longer than I've been reading e-books.

What I really miss about brick-and-mortar bookstores (the good ones) are the recommendations. I know a bookstore where all I have to do is walk in and look at their selection, I know there will be something good for me there. At Amazon, it's replaced by "best-selling" rankings and "you might also like" proposals, which can be useful but are much too narrow.

Some people don't mind that and want to read the same kind of books over and over. I think they're missing on a lot, but maybe not. And maybe one day they will grow tired of it and look somewhere else. It's easy to find books you may not have thought of reading: in libraries, in bookshops, on the Internet (here at MR for example), in other books, in magazines and newspapers, from what friends and relatives tell you of their reading... all you have to do is want to find them, or simply be open-minded. THAT will never be available in any store
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote