View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
derekweb
Groupie
derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.derekweb could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Palm Treo 700p & iPaq hx2755
Actually, after reading the releases on CNET and Yahoo News, REAL is claiming that they did NOT reverse engineer the IPod DRMs.

That said. I personally don't know what else you'd call it when you aren't given a license and technical specifications to program to. However, there are numerous examples in legal history (at least in America) where "cloning" a technology for compatibility purposes was deemed legally permitted.

Further, just as a small case example, didn't Apple learn from the FIRST time in this position? I mean, COME ON! If they won't learn from their OWN examples, then they REALLY should learn from other companies that went under because they fubar'd the issue. For example, BetaMax vs VHS. BetaMax was superior quality, but they too failed to license their technology. VHS did not fail that lesson. Look who won.

/Shrug/ Apple is running out of room for surviving their mistakes. I wonder how it will "fall out" now.