View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Zetmolm,

Thanks for bringing me up to date on BeBook. Not having used an Onyx of any type, I did not comment on them. As far as my post, I was recommending a reader for someone with special needs: a simple to operate reader with option for very large font sizes (and one that reads both mobi and epub). The older non-touch readers are as simple as you get - press the forward key and a page turns, press a back key, etc. Although the older e-ink screens are not as attractive and have lower resolution compared to the newer ones, such as on my rooted Nook Simple Touch or Sony prs950, I have absolutely no difficulty with reading the older One (and I have similar vision problems as OP's mother). I find my NST a tad more difficult to use because the touch screen is too sensitive and turns pages if I'm careless with my finger placement, and it is no easier to read than my One.

As far as cost, I checked with Onyx, and the list price of their A60 is 99 euros, about $125, relatively inexpensive but nearly 3x the cost of the ebay (there is a bid for it now) one which would make a nice inexpensive trial reader. The touch screen Boox I62 lists at about $185.

Perhaps being familiar with Onyx, you might mention to the OP whether these readers have the same options for very large font sizes? If so, they also would be suitable for her mother.

Last edited by bobcdy; 06-24-2012 at 01:30 PM.
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote