View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
If the coupon doesn't work or expires there is a permanent sale here:

http://office.pricegrabber.com/elect...book/st=query/

I have all the US sold eink devices and the Jetbook. I don't regret buying any of the other devices, but I probably should not have bought the Jetbook. As Harry mentioned the device is limited to txt files and pdf files, and in essence I only use it for txt files.

I use a bright gooseneck light over my shoulder to illuminate the various readers. Jetbook, unlike eink devices, has a glossy background to the screen. If you have ever had a package wrapped in foil which has printing on the foil.....well, that's Jetbook. The foil-like gloss creates a glare which is very much annoying to me in my reading environment. It can be controlled a bit by rotating the screen, but that's just not needed with eink devices which reflect the same amount of light no matter how they are rotated.

When using it in ambient (room) light, or outside, the glossy glare is not nearly as noticeable.

I absolutely love the control layout and the menus and wish it could be recommended to a larger audience It's teeny and will fit in a man's shirt pocket, but the screen is large enough for book reading. It certainly wins points for 'cuteness' with the small size and deep maroon color.

Jetbook along with Cybook are the only US sold devices which lack a separate charging port. You must use the USB port on both of them, which disables reading until charging finishes. With Kindle, Sony or Iliad you have a separate charger port and can read while charging.

If you want a small light reader, go with Cybook. It supports more file types than any other (Iliad doesn't support pdb) and is lighter than Jetbook.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote