View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #15
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Smile

Calibre.
1. - I give him five stars for:
- the "recipes" allowing to download magazines are truly wonderful and work extremely well (at least for the ones I tried)
- it converts odt, doc, txt to epub files simply and most of the time well

2. - I do not use it systematically though.
- I do not keep any calibre library file. As soon as I upload a file to my Reader, I suppress the calibre entry on my computer.

- When I know that the file to be uploaded is OK (coming from Feedbooks for example ), I just place it directly in the Reader without using calibre and let the Reader update itself the cache.xml file.

3. - I use other utilities as a complement to calibre.
- I use a syncing utility called grsync to backup my Reader files (this is Linux).
- Calibre is useful for editing meta-files for epub, lrf and others, though I found that I had better edit PDF meta-files with third party software. Maybe this will soon be fixed in calibre.

I never used the Sony library software.

Last edited by roger64; 05-31-2009 at 11:20 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote