View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
It always seems to be women writers trying to hide their gender. At least that's how it FEELS to me, and I feel a bit insulted by it. (OK, CS Lewis is an exception)
I'd use initials if it makes my name more pronounceable. Let's say, my name is "Samuel Levron". As a non-English person, my tongue stumbles to pronounce that. I'd much prefer "S. Levron" as an author name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
The problem is, with a few exceptions, men don't read books by women writers.
Really? How stupid. When looking for a book, I look at the genre and the description, and if I like both, I read it. If it's written by a woman, so be it. Actually... now that I think about it, about 60% of my music is instrumental, new age and ambient, that sort of thing. Of the 40% that has lyrics in it, about 80% was sung by women. The songs I have that are sung by men, are mostly on "The best <years>" and "The best of <genre>" collections. I only have a few male singers of which I have CD's, while I have loads and loads of CD's by women singers.

===

Now that I'm writing my own fantasy story (at least, trying to), it has two major male characters one of which is the protagonist, two major female characters, and one major character that is female in this story, but she has the capability to be male, if she'd want to or needed to.

The strange thing is that scenes and plots literally form themselves around the three female characters without any troube, and that I actually have to watch out that the two males (and so, the protagonist) don't degrade into some sort of sidekicks.

I'm actually toying with the idea of turning one of the three females into a male, and turn the protagonist into a female, to be able to think up plots easier, centered around the protagonist. If I'd do that, the story would probably turn into "fantasy for girls" at some point.

===

So I do read works written by women, listen to women singers mostly, and feel that I write easier about, and for, women than I do for men. And I'm a guy, go figure. Maybe I'll just assume the pseudonym of "Mary Cassidy" or something, if I ever decide to publish this. Maybe I'm just weird.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-29-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote