View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
When I started e-reading I was conscious of the loss of a public-facing book cover. Y'all can laugh about it but talking about the book someone reads was an excellent breaking-the-ice social manuever. You know, before we found our dates on the internet, lol.

Sure, plenty of people are annoyed when their reading is interrupted. Plenty of people stay single too.
There's nothing to laugh about, a book cover can be a real ice-breaker. Some people want that wall of ice to be as thick as possible, but not everyone does. There are downsides, of course, some people seem to think they are entitled to making negative comments to you on what you read. And some people are phony about it, not having any interest in your book. I get annoyed when people strike up a conversation, and they segue into "by the way, have you heard the Good News about..."

But if I'm reading C.J. Cherryh, for example, it can be nice to talk to someone who also likes her books.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote