View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Question about using Dropbox

I have copied my whole Calibre folder into Dropbox (thanks for the tip about that!) and am wondering how to handle new books. I am concerned about being able to re-create my entire library instantly if anything ever happens to my computer---I want the books, the metadata and tags, the cover art and everything. Is it all stored with the individual book? For example, if I add a new title, can I just copy the folder Calibre creates into the Dropbox directory? Or do I need to re-copy the whole directory over? For example:

I add a new book by John Smith and he is a new author to me. Calibre creates a John Smith folder in my 'ebook library' folder and puts the file there. Can I just copy the 'John Smith' folder to the ebook library folder I have copied to Dropbox and that will be enough?

Or let's say I add a new book called 'The New Book' by John Smith who is already IN my Calibre database. Calibre will create a 'The New Book' folder in my existing John Smith folder in the ebook library directory. Can I just copy that folder, go into my dropbox folder, put it into the 'John Smith' directory and be set?

If I have to just copy over the whole folder once a week I can, but it would be easier if I could just copy over new books as I add them. However, I do not want to lose ANY information. If I want to install Calibre on a new computer, I want to be able to copy over the backup that is in dropbox and have every single thing exactly as it was.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote