View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
If you don't mind shelling out a bit more, then Plustek has some scanners specifically built for scanning books. The scanning is done very close to one side of the flat bed, so that you can lay one page of the book down and get a truly flat scan (as long as the inside margin is about 1 cm or more to allow it to reach the scanner). No distortions or harsh pressures on the spine. The cheapest one is probably in the neighbourhood of $475, though, so the DIY option still makes sense.

I have the cheapest version (Opticbook 3600), and I can get about 120 pages per minute at 600 dpi (black/white) for large books. Paperbacks at 300 dpi can be scanned at about 200-300 pages per hour. So, I'm a bit disappointed that the DIY model is only 150 pages per hour. However, my scanner is quite a bit slower when doing colour scans, so it sounds like the DIY model would be faster for that.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote