View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #37
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
You dont have to be in the flashdrive part, just as soon as you ssh into the kindle type "idme ?" at the prompt.

You will need usbnet located in the "Fonts and Screensavers for Kindles" thread here.
I finally got it set up using my MacBook rather that Windows, because it looked easier. (I'm guessing that the "d" at the end of "telnetd" means driver. At first I thought it was a typo.)

Anyway, a lot of what I used to know about UNIX and LINUX came back to me, but it was frustrating. I now have the usbnet set up and can ssh to it. I get a read only connection with instructions about what to invoke to make it writable, but just typing in 'idme ?' at the hash prompt I get something like the following:

Quote:
[root@kindle root]# idme ?
serial number = B003F0C064349671
board id = WP1A000000000000
panel id = E1BLABLABLABLABLABL (V110_119_60_M04)
pcb serial number = ????????
accelerometer offset string = ????????????????
The serial number is made up of course, but it's the same format. The board id is what it is, so it's probably more like a model number than a unique ID. There's no pcb serial number or accelerometer offset string, and I don't really know what those are. Maybe it's a secret.

I guess now the objective is to change something. If I use the ENABLE_DIAGS method to change the serial number I should get the following message:

Quote:
Device ID initialization must be performed from the debug board console.
Press 1 to set Serial Number now.
Pres X to abort setting Serial Number now.
and if I press 1 it just waits for the 'debug board console' to do something, but I'm not sure what. I'm sort of assuming that this is where my ssh from the usbnet connection comes in. Perhaps a message pops up in the shell and asks me to input the new serial number? That would be nice. I could then change it to the one that's currently registered.

But if the 'debug board console' is some sort of hardware interface then that probably won't work. I know there's a "debug mode" in usbnet to enable "private commands" but that's not going to be available to me. Anyway I set the usbnet on "auto" so assume it will connect that way on the boot.

Any advice before I commit? Is there some other way to change the serial number in flash now that I can get access to a shell?