View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #101
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
You are morally right, but they are legally right I'm afraid. That's how the system is. In any case I hope citizens can now tell the difference between legal and moral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
(Generally) unenforceable laws are still a problem because they enable selective enforcement. Selective enforcement is an excellent tool of control.

Let's say almost everyone is guilty of violating some dozen (often obscure) laws/codes/rules that can't be uniformly enforced. Let's say I'm a prosecutor or corporate giant or the MPAA. You piss me off for some reason. It may be unrelated to the laws. I'll choose to prosecute or sue you even though I don't have the resources to sue everyone.

Those laws are useful little tools for destroying meddlesome opponents and for producing a chilling effect on the rest. Yeah, these rules matter.
While both of you are correct, unless someone is stupid enough to flagrantly break the rules and boast about it, the odds of getting busted are very slim.

For the most part what someone does in the privacy of their home is between them and whatever diety they believe in.

Most of the "public" cases we have heard about could have been prevented had they used an ounce of common sense, and the rest was simple greed and flaunting it. They deserve whatever they get.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote