View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #6
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
She is one of my favorite authors in this genera and created some of the most odd lead characters in the genera IMO. This was her first novel and introduces Hercule Poirot, who is in 32 more novels and 54 short stories. Naturally I couldn't resist comparing the book to the BBC television series and I have to say that the book and the TV series both stood up very well, which is not always the case. I was highly amused to see that Hercule's subtle put downs of Captain Hastings as portrayed on TV were actually in the book. I had missed those the first time I'd read some of the Poirot books many years ago. Quite possibly the best known Poirot story is the wonderful Murder On The Orient Express.

It is interesting and somewhat puzzling that all three of the top poll nominees were all written in the 1920s. All three were pleasant reads but The Mysterious Affair At Styles was far and away the best. Best written and best mystery in my opinion, I thought there were sufficient clues to enable me to solve the mystery prior to Poirot, although it was touch and go.

I want to thank who ever it was that suggested the Charlie Chan mysteries, having the collection of the first six available here at MR is wonderful and I am midway through the fifth book now. Lovely period stuff about America in the '20s and especially Hawaii and San Francisco as well as being cracking good mysteries.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote