View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I was investigating this same question a few weeks ago. Although the Fahnestock and MacAfee translation (Signet Classic) seems to be the most commonly recommended, it isn't available as an ebook. However, I found the Hapgood translation quite readable. Although there are many free ebook versions of Hapgood's translation out there, I ended up buying the one from Carefully Crafted Classics. I downloaded the sample from Amazon, and I was pleased by the fact that it restored the italics that are missing in the versions from PG and other free sources and that it expanded the first-letter-dash that Hugo used to the actual proper nouns: "Bishop of Digne" instead of "Bishop of D——" for example. I find it less distracting, a personal preference that made it worth the $2.99 for me.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote