View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
JohnTRN
Enthusiast
JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnTRN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If you go to manybooks.net, look under Genres and check out the Nautical and also the Pirate Tales categories. Many of the books have librivox audiobook versions.
Thanks for the genre suggestions. I had thought of 'sea tales' and 'south sea' but not nautical or pirate. Those first two selections I posted were from Librivox; wholeheartedly agree with the variety in quality. Much prefer a single reader and my favorites are not performed. One book from Librivox I started listening to started out with a single reader, who I did not especially enjoy, then segued into him and a women doing a 'duet' reading. Deleted that one. Ever listened to NPR's Radio Reader with Dick Estelle. Just great!

I've actually done some reading on Librivox. I'm thinking about tackling a whole of something from Jack London or Rudyard Kipling . . . when I get a round TUIT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Moby Dick read by Frank Muller is excellent and is only $0.95 for Audible members.
Another Melville I listened to this last summer; think it was another from Librivox. Enjoyed most of it, put it had its pedantic moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
Almost any of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series - but be warned: you may be sucked in and not reemerge until you've been through all 20 volumes!

Joseph Conrad also: try Youth, Typhoon or Lord Jim if you don't mind getting into the later 19th century.
Patrick O'Brian looks like it will do very nicely; thanks! Will have to check out the Conrad also.

I had given thought to starting my request out as:

Twas a dark and stormy night when the first mate said to the captain, "Captain, tell us a story!" So the captain bade the men gather round close, lowered the lights and started out. "Twas a dark and stormy night when the first mate said to the captain, "Captain, tell us a story!" . . .

But I lost that thought.

Thanks all!

John
JohnTRN is offline   Reply With Quote