View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
jsh1120
Connoisseur
jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jsh1120 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Fire
Like others, I have the original KF and the new KFHD as well as an e-ink Kindle keyboard that's mainly my wife's toy.

I'm not one that minds reading a backlit screen. I do it often for 10-12 hours a day sitting at my desk. But my wife is an e-ink "bigot." She found that by using ScreenDim she was able to use the original Kindle Fire and found it nearly (but not quite) equal to the e-ink experience.

So that was the starting point for a comparison with the new KFHD. Frankly, I'm astonished by the improvement in the new screen. No, it doesn't have the same "texture" (that's the only term I can come up with) but it's extremely readable. And with the addition of ScreenDim and the backgrounds available it's almost infinitely adjustable.

The biggest difference, however, is the improvement in reading outside. I live in Seattle so I'm not talking about a Florida beach here, but on my deck on a sunny day sitting under the patio umbrella, the KFHD is easily readable with minimal glare and no eyestrain for a couple of hours. In comparison the original KF is simply not usable in the same environment. E-ink still superior? I suspect those who REALLY don't like backlit screens would say so. For me, the KFHD equals the reading ease of my wife's KKB.
jsh1120 is offline   Reply With Quote