Thread: iPad 3G question
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #42
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was under the impression that the type of GPS used by the iPhone worked by triangulating your position from the signal strength of different local telephone "cells". I don't believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it involves GPS satellites at all.
Nope, both the iPhone and the iPad 3G use the satellites for positioning information. I believe that the iPad (non-3G) does do something like what you describe. I'm not sure if the iPhone/iPad3G also take advantage of the cell phone system when in areas (like tunnels) where the satellites can't be heard.

Just found an interesting article from Apple on how location services work on the iPad.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4084

Last edited by tbergman; 08-07-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Addition Info
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote