View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
ePub CSS doesn't support the :first-letter selector, so unless Calibre does some very fancy conversion, it won't work in ePub output.

For a method that should work in ePub (don't know about other formats) see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=633655

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I was browsing the Calibre User Manual today and came across the section named
"How do I use some of the advanced features of the conversion tools?"
in the FAQ with attached demo files.

When I tried the HTML DropCaps examples I couldn't get the simpler one to work, i.e. the one which uses the following CSS:-

.drop { text-indent: 0pt}
.drop:first-letter { font-size:xx-large}

with a paragraph coded:-

<p class="drop">This is a plain text based dropcaps ... </p>

This suggestion works great in my browser and when viewing the imported .zip in the ebook-viewer, but not in a converted EPUB or LRF on my Sony PRS-505. It doesn't appear to show up in the Viewers either.

Is this something which only works with some readers or other output types?

I think I could use something like

p.noindent {text-indent: 0pt}
span.drop {font-size:xx-large}

<p class="noindent"><span class="drop">T</span>his is a big capital.</p>

to achieve the same thing, but the original suggestion results in neater HTML if it can be made to work.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote