View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #77
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
I gave an example when I had no WIFI (so obviously no adb over WiFi), but fixed the unit using adb over USB. Another advantage is that you should be able to clone the internal SD without any modifications (no apk's to install).

I am actually stuck right now, trying to clone my "pristine" internal SD using "adb shell" and "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk1". For some reason, I get

/dev/block/mmcblk0: read error: I/O error
9527352+0 records in
9527352+0 records out
4878004224 bytes transferred in 3119.049 secs (1563939 bytes/sec)

There may be a few explanations. May be my internal SD does have some problem, and that's why the unit went into a full factory reset. Or may be the fact that I am doing it a) adb over USB, or b) it's not rooted, or c) I'm not using busybox. Before, I successfully cloned the card, but I did it over ssh (WiFi), to a rooted device with busybox.

Too bad - it looks like I won't get a pristine image.

I think adb over USB is one of the very first processes launched, but in a truly bricked unit it won't be available.

UPDATE: Hah, I've just successfully did "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/dev/null bs=4096". I also stopped most of the running processes - may be they somehow prevented the copy before? In any case, it appears there are no issues with the internal card. I'll try to repeat it now to the external SD card.

BTW, doing adb over USB apparently keeps the battery charged (?!). I've been running it for a few hours, and the battery sign is still "full charge".

UPDATE2. I did succeed with creating a clone of my "pristine" internal SD, running dd with bs=4096. Perhaps that was the key? I remember I used the same bs value when I made my first clone SD, over SSH.

I'll probably post my mini-guide "adb for Kobo Vox" tomorrow.

Last edited by pulsar; 11-20-2011 at 09:32 PM.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote