View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #14
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I find it very useful. Do you mind if I use this one day when I find the time to write a manual for Sigil?
Of course not, use it at will! You might want to break it into "free-form", DC and DCTERMS (see the additions that Kevin made.)

Quote:
>
Code:
<meta name="OPF.file-as" content="LastName, First Middle" />
Yeah, this can't work. We need to have creator or contributor specified. No guessing.
I was thinking that it would be in addition to the DC tag -- you'd still have the definite creators/contributors. Just a way to mark the sort.

Quote:
>
Code:
<meta name="DC.creator.aut" content="First Middle LastName" />
<meta name="DC.creator.aut" scheme="OPF:file-as" content="LastName First Middle" />
This too is a bad idea. I could make Sigil recognize that these two tags actually specify one author, but every Reading System on the planet is going to read it as two. Using just the second meta tag could work though.
Yeah. I get it. It's going to have to be something beyond the DC or DCTERMS spec. Which is why I suggested the OPF above.

Quote:
In any event, as I've said, Sigil should store any meta tags it can't recognize and convert to DC. These should then be exported to the OPF as they were, that is, bare meta tags (the spec supports this).
Right. So coming up with a good, referenced set of tags for XHTML should give a good set of tags within any ePub created by Sigil. I can see where file-as really means nothing within the editor. It's only beyond the editor that it begins to have meaning.

I'm using what Sigil does as a jumping-off point to come up with a set of "best practices" with XHTML for myself and anyone interested.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote