View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Indeed, it renders very well, except for the ligatures, on my Kobo v1.4, and on my BeBook. On my Sony PRS505, it renders well, except that the font does not resize properly, if at all.
Thanks for the comments and the trial! I had only really tested it on the iPad, so I'm curious to know how it worked on other readers.

Re-reading my blog post, I realize I could have been clearer with the ligature statement. What I meant was this: in the html file, there are no "ligature" characters. Only normal characters. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that whenever iBooks encountered, say, the letters "ffi" in the text, it replaced them automatically with the correct ligature glyph if one was available.

That's a subtle piece of typesetting and surprising to find, given iBooks's complete lack of more obvious typographical features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
The font does not resize using ADE for Windows. So it's not a problem with the 505. If the text does resize on a reader using ADE, then there is a bug with ADE on that reader.
I'm confused: the proper behavior should be that the text SHOULD resize, right? So if ADE doesn't do it, isn't this a bug with ADE for Windows?

I also embedded OTF font versions in the file, so it's possible that a viewer might choose those instead, if it supports them.

Also, looking at the file in ADE now, I see again that odd spacing around the italic "the" in the first line. I had thought that the odd spacing was due to iBooks, but I guess not. May be it's something weird in the font description...?
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote