View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Their account has been restored. ( http://www.digitalmanga.com/blog/235...count-restored )

I'm not sure we're getting the full facts from the publisher. Manga is a Japanese comic form, and Digital Manga Inc's catalogue includes a genre called 'Yaoi' (You can view their offerings in the genre by searching for the terms "digital manga yaoi" in the kindle store currently).

As for what Yaoi is:

(http://www.junemanga.com/)

Is this what it seems to be? I don't know. I think DMI could be treading a fine line here. Some of the characters on their covers look awfully 'young' to me. Perhaps DMI could have mentioned the word 'young' in addition to 'homosexuality' and 'erotica', you know, in the interests of full disclosure.

Amazon certainly mentions explicitly that they may want to review their future offerings before publication.
I read today that
Quote:
BL is Boys Love. It’s how the Japanese designate m/m novels, manga, anime. They don’t use yaoi over there so much because to them it’s derogatory.
and

Quote:
yaoi is a deprecated term and you only ever really see it in English-language circles. Back in the day, shounen ai was a common term too but it’s become obsolete. It’s also generally frowned upon because in Japan, it refers to pedophilia (e.g. liking young boys).

Bara is another m/m genre but whereas BL is predominantly created by women for women, bara is created by gay men for gay men.

Maybe this is one of the issues for the pub?

Last edited by MrsJoseph; 03-16-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: additional info
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote