View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #58
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
I think they are and they have. Sony has stopped shipping all models of the Reader to their retailers. It has completely liquidated the retail channel (or was pushed out of it). It cannot make an effort to satisfy the demand even through its own online store. And it totally stopped the production of most required accessories. I am sorry to say this, but the situation has all the signs of a product line that is being discontinued. There is absolutely no reasonable explanation for the "shortages" of the Sony Readers and accessories....
How about an Earthquake and Tsunami? Or massive sales in Japan and Asia, which are specifically attributed to the shortages.

http://sony.ereaderjournal.com/tag/ereader-sales/

Quote:
I am not sure which markets Sony might consider more attractive or important than the U.S. market. I wonder if the demand for readers and accessories is being satisfied in the retail channel still remaining in Europe. At introduction the Reader famously was a major hit in Japan, but I don't know if it is still a hot commodity there. And 950 was never released outside the U.S.
See above. Though I don't think we're in danger of losing the Reader in the US.

Quote:
I've been a fan for a few years, having bought the PRS-500 when it first came out. I've owned all models of the Sony Readers. The impending demise of a great product that was in many regards a technology and innovation leader is rather sad and puzzling for me. After a couple of years of misses 2010 brought a major hit - the combination of Pearl screen and UV touch. Hard to believe that the accountants in Sony declared this hit a failure.

Today the U.S. market is flooded by technologically similar kindles, nooks and kobos. I guess, sooner or later I am going to pick one of the other brands and move on.
You don't seem to realize the Kobo sells a fraction of the Reader. You're going to abandon the Sony for something that sells far less... all because the perceived limited sales, and the doom-and-gloom of this thread, which is based on mis-attributing the numbers of Sony's loss.

Now, what "accountants at Sony" have decided this hit was a failure? Just because you've deemed it as such doesn't mean Sony did too.

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 06-07-2011 at 11:47 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote