Thread: Seriousness Are you afraid of children?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Are you afraid of children?

The title is a little bit misleading, but I just couldn't for the life of me figure out how to phrase it. What I'm basically wondering is this; have you ever moderated your honest behavior around children, due to fear of being falsely accused of something?

I had come across a comment on another site, posted by a woman who said one of her "rules" of life is NEVER leave a child alone with a man. I just found that to be incredibly sad and insulting. I don't know anything about her. I don't know anything about what she may have experienced in her life ... but I wouldn't be comfortable being ANYWHERE near her or her children if that is the way she thinks.

In fact, if I knew her opinions beforehand, I wouldn't even want to live in the same neighborhood, for fear of being accused of something that I didn't do.

It reminded me of an experience I had about 8 years ago. My mom works at an elementary school, and they were very short on staff. They started asking for some temporary volunteers for lunch/playground attendants. It was only 10 hours a week, so my mom called me up and asked if I would be willing to help out. I told her I'd be glad to, and the next day I was called in to meet the principal.

Long story short, without saying it outright, she ends up telling me that a 22-year old guy would be more trouble than it was worth, saying that I would be a "distraction" to the young ladies of the school. I left feeling angry and more than a little insulted and told my mom to never bother asking me to help out with that school ever again if that was the way they treated a person who only wanted to help.

The world is getting crazy ...

I'm 11 years older than my little brother. He's been living with me for about 7 years. When he was 16, one of his female best friends got kicked out of her home, and I remember the day my brother asked me if she could move in. I had to tell him no, and I knew how hurt he was about it. I remember explaining things to him ... telling him that I knew she'd be safe here. He knew she'd be safe here, and she knew she would be safe here ... but it would only take one wild accusation by someone -- like an angry parent who is pissed about someone taking their child in, even though they kicked the child out in the first place -- to pretty much ruin my life. I couldn't even take the risk, and how sad is that?
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote