View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
I read through this thread with interest, because I was taught by those who generally supported Orwell's views. That said, there is a place for idiom in writing, I think.

My main character is an Australian and I've written in first person (present tense) so slip in the occasional Aussie-ism from time to time. My teachers would generally agree with what I've done, provided I keep it minimal, because a little goes a long way, and usually, I have it in the dialog, not the prose.

That said, it's a matter of pride that I not only avoid cliches and stock phrases, but strive to create my own similes and metaphors and descriptions that are mine and reach the imagination of the reader. It irks me when I pick up a book and find it riddled with phrases that have been, ahem, done to death all over the place. (Sorry.)

When I wrote earlier "generally supported Orwell's views", I think that responsible writers ought to use their judgement in their writing and not - as someone has suggested - dogmatically adhere to a set of rules.

When writing, I don't want to insert into my work, words that so irritated me, as a reader.
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote