View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
Nick Hampshire
Nick Hampshire doesn't litterNick Hampshire doesn't litter

I have not been able to test the Web capability of the iLiad because all communications to the Internet are made via the IDS server which is currently being set up by iRex. It is definately not designed as a Web pad, all content is downloaded either wirelessly via the IDS server or via a linked PC.
When the WiFi button on the front of the device is pressed the iLiad will automatically try to make a wireless Internet connection to the IDS server, it will use its own hardwired ID code as an identifier. In theory it could be used as a portable e-mail or fax terminal but not as a Web browser.
When the iLiad makes a wireless connection any communications going from the iLIad to the IDS server, such as a request for further information, or an e-commerce order form are sent. Any content waiting on the IDS server to be delivered to the reader, identified by its ID number, is then sent to the reader and placed in the appropriate file folders.
The iLIad is a push content delivery device, not a pull content device like a Web browser. This is an important difference and one that will facilitate new applications for this device, in particular the delivery of subscription content.
Actually the screen updates are quite quick compared to the LIBRIe, taking just 0.9 seconds to do a full screen rewrite and only 0.2 seconds to do a partial screen rewrite.

I think that part of the LIBRIe problem with pasginating text is that both it and the Jinke are designed for Chinese or Japanese script which go in lines from top to bottom and left to right, as opposed to most other calligraphies which mostly go from left to right and top to bottom. With the example text I have the repagination caused by increasing point size seems to be OK.
All picture files on the Iliad have to be first converted to an iLiad compastible format and size, either on a PC or via the IDS server, conversion can not be done on the iLiad itself. It was after all designed as a document display device and not as a general purpose computing device.
Nick Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote