View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post
I'm intrigued by the convertibles but haven't found the perfect one yet.

I've got a decent laptop already -- what I really want is basically the equivalent of a netbook -- something portable and mainly good for writing and web browsing on the go. Since I'm a writer and I want to use Scrivener and Final Draft, it has to be a Windows 8, not RT. But I don't want to spend laptop-replacement prices.

Surface Pro looks great but $900 not including the keyboard is a lot. Surface RT is not an option since I can't install Scrivener or Final Draft.
My Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T sounds like a perfect fit for you. It's 32 bit Windows 8 running on a dual core Atom chip. It's not going to work for heavy duty graphics or games, but for writing and browsing it's plenty. Amazon has them for $599 US without the keyboard dock, and $749 with.

I made the mistake of buying one without the keyboard, and am now having a hard time finding the stand alone keyboard.

BTW, the above referenced bloatware issue on the Sammy is virtually nonexistent. Any Samsung specific software is at least useful, and at best necessary. The only thing I removed/replaced is the Symantec antivirus. And then only because I have access to free antivirus packages through both my work and my ISP.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote