Thread: Epubcheck 3
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For ePub (not ePub 3), what does ePubcheck find for errors/warning that FlightCrew does not? If there was such a lit, then these checks could be added to FlightCrew.
That's an excellent idea.

epubcheck:- item (iTunesMetadata.plist) exists in the zip file, but is not declared in the OPF file
Standalone FlightCrew:- No problems found!
FlightCrew in Sigil:- No problems found! The offending file isn't shown in fileview and the unsaved changes asterisk isn't present. Once saved, even without changing anything, the epub passes epubcheck - The magic of Sigil!
Any other examples I come across I'll post here.

I think that some people have the misconception that epubcheck 3 is only for validating epub3s, to quote the project home site:- "This is now the recommended version to use for both EPUB 2.0(1) and 3.0 validation.". The validator detects which epub version is being checked and applies the appropiate tests.
The epub3 stuff is largely irrelevant and will remain so until there is a proven demand for epub3 - may never happen.
However the new epub2 checks in epubcheck3 are more stringent and find errors that were previously ignored.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote