View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Try Files Pro. Or better yet, try the free version and upgrade if it does what you want .

It's not like ES file explorer because ios doesn't work the same way as andriod. In ios, apps are "sandboxed". Users and other apps have no access to another app's data except through ios' "open in" function. What Files Pro (and other apps like it) do is set up a central file cache. You can transfer files to and from this cache to your computer via wifi and a web browser, usb or email. Dropbox and other cloud sevices have almost* killed the need for this type of app.

Once in the cache, you can view the file contents (for supported files), or edit or view them in another app via the "open in" function.

So it kind of goes like this:

I have a PDF that I want to annotate while I travel to a client. I start Files on the ipad and upload the pdf to Files using my web browser. I navigate to the PDF, and use "open in" to send it to Good Reader. I do my annotations while on the bus (can't use the ipad while driving ) in Good Reader and save. Once saved, I use Good Reader's "open in" function to send it back to Files (I know, I know, Good Reader has its own WebDav support, it's just an example ). At the client's office, I use a web browser to upload the PDF to their computer.
I do have Dropbox. So these apps work the same as Dropbox, and if I have Dropbox I really don't need these apps? Will have to check out Good Reader.

Quote:
*One advantage these apps have over cloud apps is that internet is not required. You can create an ad-hoc network with just a wifi computer and an ipad and still transfer files back and forth without internet access.
Not sure if that will be over my head a little.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote