View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #52
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
When I was much younger I read the Rama trilogy by A.C. Clarke and I hated it. I felt it could have been combined into one volume. I kept buying the next book hoping the author would provide the answers. Alas I never found the answers I was looking for.

Since then I have been very sceptical of any Sci-fi or Fantasy series when there is always another book to purchase and I dislike these stretched out stories. (Does anyone remember the TV series "The Fugitive" - every episode was the same - just with different characters in it.)

And why oh why do some authors give their characters such unpronouncable names? As soon as I flip through a book and notice these the book gets put back on the shelf.

I mostly avoid sci-fi and fantasy these days unless It is related to life on earth as I know it. It has to be believable (to me) not necessarily realistic.

My favourites tend to be old pulp sci-fi such as, John Wyndham's - The Day of the Triffids, Fredric Brown - The Mind Thing, and any Robot story by Isaac Asimov.

How do I choose my favourite books when I have so many? The list would be very long. However, some of them are:

Pearl S. Buck - The Good Earth
Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo
Kenn Follett - The Pillars of the Earth
Bryce Courtenay - The Potato Factory
Larry McMurtry - Lonesome dove
Michael Crichton - Next
Stephen King - Cell
Stephen King - The Stand
Tim Green - Exact Revenge
Simon Clark - The Night of the Triffids
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote