Thread: Real books
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Real books

I have nothing against e-books. They're great: cheap, convenient, light, adaptable and easy to adjust, BUT ...

I've just received the proof copy of my book from Lightning Source. My book has never been more real to me than it is now.

I can hold it in my hand, smell the pages, flick through it from front to back with a brush of my thumb and stop at a random page and see what's there. I can pat the cover and keep picking it up and looking at it is as something new and different from the thousands of other books that sit on our shelves. It will wear and rumple and gain the patina of use and age. It is something that an e-book will never be ... for me.

Of course my flowery language could be result of the large whiskey poured to celebrate the arrival of my first born, but who cares? It's mine!
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote