View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #61
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
To a certain extent, I agree. As a citizen, your input should be considered in broad terms. You want to make sure those tax dollars are well spent.

But when it comes to raising challenges to specific books or types of books, that's where I have a problem. A library serves a community and all its varied viewpoints and needs.

It's not an area that should be politicized or bow to a small segment of viewpoints.

Did I wish my local library spent less on books by right-wing talk show hosts, religious fiction, and sub-literate vampire stories? Sure. But I'm sure there are plenty of patrons who wonder why they buy the stuff I like to read.

In the end, a well-stocked library has something to offer all its patrons.

(School libraries are a slightly different discussion, as they have more specific educational goals.)
This is all well and good in theory, but in reality, limited funds mean choices. The community has a right to be heard regarding those choices.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote