Thread: "New" Kobo Mini
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 01:25 AM   #13
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think there's ever going to be another 5" reader from any of the major eBook retailers (at least, probably none at all). The trend seems to be towards bigger and bigger screens (like smartphones, unfortunately).

Third, I agree. I would definitely like to see a 5" Clara. A reader you could easily carry in your front shirt pocket would be really nice.
In this thread, I talk about the brand-new (as of summer of 2022) Xiaomi Moaan InkPalm Mini Plus 5.84 (3rd Gen):

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...n-ebook-reader
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004397262841.html

There's an older version (2nd gen or 1st gen) with an even smaller screen (5.2 inches), and I guess that's the closest you can get to a Kobo Mini form factor among contemporary e-ink devices.

I eventually opted for the new Onyx Boox Poke 4 Lite instead, and I'm currently awaiting its delivery. But that's really a 6-inch device.

Earlier today, I was surprised to find my ancient Kobo Mini still sitting on a shelf. I'm currently charging it, and it works fine while connected to the charger, but I'm skeptical as to whether it will be able to hold its battery charge for even a few hours when disconnected from the charger. (I think I tried this last time a couple of years ago but the battery charge never lasted for any usable stretch of time.) Even prior to that, I stopped using the Kobo Mini for years on end.

I'm not confident enough to swap the battery myself. If I could entrust a technician with that and was sure it would work, I might give it a try.

I've had bad experience with such "rescue efforts", though. I tried rescuing an ancient 10-inch Kindle a few years ago, I paid €60 (!) to an authorized technician to have the battery replaced, and the 10-inch Kindle came back to life, worked for a bit (months, not even a year, I think), but then it died again, this time for good, I'm afraid.

Hope you have a better experience with the battery you swapped in your Kobo Mini.

Last edited by Faterson; 09-05-2022 at 01:50 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote