View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Weigh the pros and cons.

DRM: It prevents file sharing. Actually wait, no, it doesn't, because in 2 minutes DRM can be stripped. It will make some people unhappy simply because the DRM is there that they need to remove (even though it takes a few minutes, some are so very anti-DRM for reasons already stated, they mainly want to be able to read the book they paid for on whatever device they want, that they'll go elsewhere to purchase the book or even pass on the book entirely if it's their only option). People with multiple readers in their family will have reason to strip it immediately after purchase. I have paperbacks that I've shared with probably 10 family members and friends, why shouldn't we be able to do the same with the e-version?

No-DRM: You don't offend anyone who dislikes DRM. People who purchase books normally from Amazon will still be able to purchase their books and load them the same way as always on their Kindles, they won't even know the difference. Where's the downside to no-DRM?

All things considered, I don't see one advantage to putting DRM on a book. Not one. No DRM makes everyone happy.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 11-21-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Because I spell like a putz at 2am.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote