Thread: Quote Hunter
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've recently started seeing that, And while I thought it might have been an error, I did look it up to find it's actually correct.
I looked it up today, too. Chicago Style says that if the quote marks are used conversationally, a carriage return is another indicator that the speaker has stopped speaking, and is preferred.

By Example:
John said, "I have a lot of stuff that to say.
I have even more stuff to say." Mary replied, "Oh, John, you talk too much".

is not as good as
John said, "I have a lot of stuff that to say. I have even more stuff to say."
Mary replied, "Oh, John, you talk too much".

The 2nd is preferred for short quippy conversations. Sure, if the speaker carries on a great length, one can justify fewer quote marks, but it is preferred to keep the paragraphs of the speech in quotes, if possible.

It is technically correct if an author is quoting someone else at length to have paragraph breaks, within the quote marks - still need one at the beginning of each paragraph.

But if it is conversational,
QuoteMark + speech + QuoteMark + Paragraph
is correct.

Besides, it is for mostly mine own good use, and if anyone doesn't want to be troubled with it, they don't have to be. I'm just trying to correct someone else's lousy formatting to suit myself.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote