View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 01:30 PM   #65
Robin Spano
Robin Spano doesn't litterRobin Spano doesn't litter

Device: Sony 350
LOL NVash, thanks for the honesty! And Donna - thanks so much for the clarity on those points that kept getting brought up!! Very cool of you.

Yeah, with Amazon reviews, of course it can be family etc. In my case, these reviews are mostly from blog reviewers - I knew one of them from high school, but she's a reviewer now and I think she was sincere with her 4 stars. If you're ever in doubt, you can check out the reviewer and see how many books they review. If it's, like, that book and 2 more, you're probably right - it's friend or family or a lone fan that was moved by that book for some reason particular to them. If they have a link to a book review website, though, or if they review lots of books on Amazon, it's more likely to be a stranger whose only agenda is to share their bookish opinion. You can also always check out a book on Goodreads. On Amazon, people are more likely to share a positive review but keep a negative one to themselves. On Goodreads, no such luck for writers (which is probably better help for book-buyers!) - readers there review and comment whether they like a book or not!

And yeah - totally agree - since I'm unknown AND writing a series, a low price would be my preference because it gets the character known. But the good news - it's available in tons of libraries across North America. So if it does sound interesting, check it out for free that way. (Am I wrong in thinking libraries are starting to lend ebooks, too?)
Robin Spano is offline   Reply With Quote