View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Looks interesting. I'll take a closer look soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHelgesen View Post
[...] Icons. While I could easily add thumbnails, it seems rather pointless (pretty much all academic papers will look the same). I'd like to use a thumbnail of the journal cover, but I'm not sure where I can pull these from. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Most journals I read seem to have a website with cover images that can be snarfed. For some of them a little imagemagick processing is helpful.

BTW, thumbnails can be useful even for academic journals, either I have a mental image of a paper, or I can recognise a paper by its broad layout.

If you are processing with latex you can also make the thumbnails into hyperlinks so you can, for example, have add a 3x4 grid of thumbnails at the front of a paper and make each one a hyperclickable (is that really a word?) to go the page. I have a script to do this that is almost useful, but it doesn't handle longer papers where the thumbnails go onto a second page (I need to deal with the fact that the first real page of the paper will start on page 3 instead of page 2: not much to fix, just not time to do it).

EDIT: Ah, I've now looked at referencer and see that you probably mean thumbnails of the first page only of articles to display them file manager-style.

Last edited by daudi; 08-18-2008 at 03:34 AM.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote