View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
His answer to the threat of filesharing is not to pretend that it will somehow disappear when DRM goes away
I don't know of too many people who have ever claimed that file sharing will "somehow disappear" if/when DRM goes away. Rather... most proponents of DRM-free ebooks suggest that the volume of filesharing will remain consistent regardless of whether DRM is present or not. It's a cost of doing business that you simply cannot affect/change/reduce/alter without running the risk of pissing off some of your law-abiding customers.

However, on the current topic... I fully expect Tor's DRM-free store to fail. And then I expect it's failure to be trotted out as evidence that publishers responded to consumer cries for DRM-free books and then those same consumers wouldn't put their money where their mouth was.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote