View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #169
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldlyDubious View Post
That's what I said. To fit an A4 page into a 12" screen, you (or, very preferably, your ebook reader) have to remove the margins through cropping. However, I don't see any reason why this can be a problem.
You are right you did mention the cropping. My reply was a little shorter than I was thinking. The cropping only works when the pdf is designed for print as well. I don't believe that it is required for pdf's to be printable. Even if a print-pdf is used as the source, for say an electronic school book, then the version for e-screens could be different from the pbook. Occasionally the margins could be used for annotations, or additional references or examples, or for you to make notes (if the e-reader allows you to "scribble" in your book). Margins also have the purpose to make it easier to read. Without margins you can get lost on the page - set your printer to print without margins (if it allows for that) and print a full page with text and you see how hard that is to read compared to having margins.

I also hope that a large screen e-reader will be A4 sized and not US-paper sized. Two A5 portrait pages next to each other is exactly a landscape A4 size, with the same height to width ratio. Now, don't try that with the US paper. I still don't like the paper here (in the US) for exactly that reason.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote