View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@twobob: There's an install wizard now? I remember it fondly as 'DIY' ^^.

I distinctly remember two of my Gentoo installs:

* The first one, moving from Debian (not that it matters much, I don't think I did it from Debian, probably used the livecd or knoppix instead), with the full printed handbook on hand. Quadruple checking the command prompt, reconfiguring/rebuilding the kernel a few times, messing up Windows' bootloader, that was fun ^^. There was the possibility of doing it nearly like a 'scripted' LFS at that time, with stage1/stage2 installs, where you bootstrapped nearly everything from a really, really minimal system, instead of the minimal full-featured environment of a current stage3 (so, yeah, that's why they're still called stage3, in case someone wondered ^^) .

* The first remote, headless one. This one was *really* fun! Basically, rented a dedicated server, made a face at the choice of distro available, asked the CS If I could have a Gentoo, and got an 'awesome' answer: "No, but I can ask a tech to boot your box on the livecd"... . Ooookay! It was a 'Do or do not. There is no try.' kind of setup... No fallback/rescue/netboot if I messed up... I was *really* glad when I finally got a ping from the box after the final reboot ;D.

Yeah, Gentoo's fun! ^^

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-08-2012 at 06:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote