View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
Finally some common sense. What a stupid rule. How much interference can a Kindle in airplane mode actually cause? Less than the static electricity from rubbing your pants legs together, that's how much.
It's people who DON'T put it into flight mode who are the problem. A 3G Kindle, when out of the range of a cell tower, will increase the power of its radio transmitter to maximum in order to attempt to contact a cell tower (just as any other cellphone will). One Kindle isn't the issue, but several hundred cellphones all doing the same thing is certainly something that avionics engineers need to take into account when shielding instruments. How many people actually even know that a 3g Kindle has a cellular radio, do you think?

Quote:
I usually just keep reading my kindle during takeoffs and landings, and if I perceive a flight attendant approaching just act like I'm only holding it. I can attest that doing so has caused exactly zero of the planes I've been on to go down in a ball of fire.
"The rules don't apply to me" is your attitude, is it? I take the view that if I choose to fly, I obey the rules, whether or not I happen to think they're silly. Flight attendants have enough to do without passengers who think they're "special".

Last edited by HarryT; 03-26-2013 at 12:24 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote