Thread: KDP Select
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #23
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
With my book, none of the other retailers did squat to market my book, and none offered Amazon's ease of searching and purchasing. As a result, Amazon last month accounted for 99.4% of my sales which is pretty much how it's gone for the past two years. Like it or not, I was "exclusive" with Amazon even before KDP Select came along!
Jan, my husband has also sold very few ebooks at Barnes & Noble. It's almost impossible to even find books in his genre using their category search. I'd love to know how anyone discovers golf fiction there! Amazon's search engine is much easier to use.

And it's frustrating that indie authors can't directly upload their ePubs to places like Kobo and Sony. They have to go through Smashwords, which is less than ideal in my opinion. I carefully handcrafted the ePub that my husband submitted directly to B&N, and I don't trust that the MS Word file wouldn't be mangled by the meatgrinder at Smashwords. If Smashwords allowed us to upload our own ePub, I'd distribute through them in a heartbeat in order to get the book into all outlets!

Quote:
Of the major retailers (excepting Smashwords, where I haven't sold a book in about a year), only Amazon lets me distribute Risen DRM-free!
My husband's book is DRM-free at both Amazon and Barnes & Noble. You can sell your ePub DRM-free at Barnes & Noble if you upload the book directly to them using PubIt. They give you that choice when you publish there, same as Amazon's KDP.

My husband has chosen not to participate in KDP Select at this time, but we are very interested in knowing how this works out for indie authors whose books weren't already Amazon top sellers. If the program is successful for most, then I think we will see even more authors go Amazon exclusive. So, ePub readers—you might want to get your ePubs while you can!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote